(also an ) indef art (The form a is used before consonant sounds and the form an before vowel sounds. Both are used before [C], [Cgp] or [sing] ns that have not previously been made specific. a用於辅音前, an用於元音前. 两者均用於前文未曾确指的可数单数名词或集合名词之前.) 1 one 一（个）: a man, hotel, girl, committee, unit, U-turn （一个）男人, 旅馆, 姑娘, 委员会, 单位, U形转弯 (Cf 参看 some men, hotels, girls, etc) * an egg, aunt, uncle, hour, X-ray, MP, L-plate （一个）蛋, 姑姑, 叔叔, 小时, X光照片, 下院议员, L字牌 (Cf 参看 some eggs, aunts, uncles, hours, etc) * I can only carry two at a time. 我一次只能携带两个. * There's a book on the table is that the one you want? 桌子上有一本书--是不是你要的那一本? 2 (used with an abstract n that is restricted by the phrase which follows it 与抽象名词连用时, 该名词後须有限定性词组): There was still an abundance of food when we arrived. 我们抵达时还有很多食物. * We're looking for someone with a good knowledge of German. 我们正在找一个精通德语的人. 3 any; every 任何; 每一（个）: A horse is a quadruped. 马是四足动物. (Cf 参看 Horses are quadrupeds.) * An owl can see in the dark. 猫头鹰在黑暗中能看见东西. (Cf 参看 Owls can see...). 4 one single 单一的: He didn't tell us a thing about his holiday. 他度假的事对我们支字未提. 5 (used with ns followed byof + possess det + n + 's 与名词+ of +所有格限定词+名词+ 's连用): a friend of my father's, ie one of my father's friends 我父亲的一个朋友 * a habit of Sally's, ie one of Sally's habits 萨莉的一种习惯. 6 (used in front of two ns seen as a unit 用於可视为一体的两个名词之前): a cup and saucer 一副杯碟 * a knife and fork 一副刀叉. 7 to or for each; per 每一; 每: 2 a gallon 每加仑2英镑 * 800 words a day 每天800字 * 50p a pound 每磅50便士. 8 (often derog 常作贬义) person like (sb) 像（某人）的人: My boss is a little Napoleon. 我的老板是个小拿破仑. 9 (used with sb's name to show that the speaker does not know the person 与某人姓名连用, 表示说话者不认识此人): Do we know a Tim Smith? 咱们认识一个叫蒂姆·史密斯的人吗? * A Mrs Green is waiting to see you. 有一位格林太太正等著见你.* A Doctor Simpson telephoned. 有一位辛普森医生来过电话. 10 (used to show membership of a class 用以表示一群体中的成员): My mother is a solicitor. 我母亲是律师. * My father is a Fulham supporter. 我父亲是富勒姆足球队的球迷. 11 painting, sculpture, etc by 由...作的绘画, 雕刻等: The painting my grandfather gave me turned out to be a Constable. 我祖父给我的那幅画原来是康斯塔伯的作品
- ... A national treasure of the late5th century.
- ... A trainload of dangerous chemical gas went off the rails...
- And a partridge in a pear tree.
- ... With upper class being an untouchable.
- -Chemical component analysis report for materials and mechanical performance inspection report;
- -Product samples and technical data;
- Tarantula arms?-Yes a big spider!
- ----Then I shoudl say: what an on-the-spot little lady!
- They went racing across the little open space among the trees.
- Mild or low carbon steels: are those containing up to0.3percent of carbon.
- -What's all that? What is that?-Yammer?
- -Yes at herself-who stood on the scaffold of the pillory an infant on her arm and the letter a in scarlet fantastically embroidered with gold thread upon her bosom!
- It's an odd number. That's1347minutes.
- -System network structure and hardware configuration diagram;
- Such loss of faith is ever one of the saddest results of sin.be it accepted as a proof that all was not corrupt in this poor victim of her own frailty and man's hard law that hester prynne yet struggled to believe that no fellow-mortal was guilty like herself.