- Bangka or banka: an island of western indonesia in the java sea separated from sumatra by the narrow strait of bangka.tin was discovered here in the early1700's.
- The two tin-rich islands of bangka and billiton were discovered in1710and1850by the dutch east india company based in palembang.
- Zheng's crewmen found a chinese community already settled on this indonesian island when their ships called at bangka to trade for tin and other goods.
- He tied up both ends of his shirt blew it up as a life-jacket and drifted on the sea. Fortunately a passing boat rescued him.when the boat reached bangka he was the first person to jump ashore. There he knelt and made108kowtows to the sea swearing that he would never set foot on a boat again.
- My great-great-grandfather was tricked in singapore and was put on a dutch steamship to bangka.
- Many of them escaped into the primary jungles of bangka.
- Indonesia's reform drive began in october with a massive crackdown on illegal smelters on the island of bangka where most of the industry is based.