- supreme commander
- The commander in chief of all the armed forces in certain countries.
- Deprived of its underground in america the german high command resorted to audacious plans.
- "The discussions at casablanca have been continued in chung king with generalissimo chiang kai-shek by general arnold and have resulted in definite plans for offensive operations.
- The german high command took the bait anyway.
- The americans had appeared on the dessau-berlin autobahn and the high command had hastily ordered the destruction of its last two remaining powder factories which were in the vicinity.
- The japanese army high command!
- Grant's command was expanded after the union defeat at the battle of chickamauga and in march1864lincoln gave him supreme command of the union armies.
- At any rate this fantastic appreciation was taken seriously at shaef where eisenhower's chief of staff general bedell smith mulled over the dread possibility "of a prolonged campaign in the alpine area" which would take a heavy toll of american lives and prolong the war indefinitely.
- At least the supreme nazi warlord was remaining true to character to the very end.
- Whereupon the supreme warlord promulgated his infamous "scorched earth" directive the next day.
- As early as march11 shaef intelligence had warned eisenhower that the nazis were planning to make an impregnable fortress in the mountains and that hitler himself would command its defenses from his retreat at berchtesgaden the icy mountain crags were "practically impenetrable" it said
- The supreme warlord promulgated his infamous "scorched earth" directive.