- intense cold
- The opening with its hesitant faltering strings its plangent bassoon and the soft strange gleam of its intertwined basset horns followed by the sudden forte and the harsh summons of trumpets and drums has a tragic force as potent as anything in mozart.
- A grievous vision is declared unto me; the treacherous dealer dealeth treacherously and the spoiler spoileth.
- Dead darkness lay on all the landscape dead darkness added its own hush to the hushing dust on all the roads.the burial-place had got to the pass that its little heaps of poor grass were undistinguishable from one another;
- See then I am against you and against your streams and I will make the land of egypt an unpeopled waste from migdol to syene even as far as the edge of ethiopia.
- It gave a melancholy tweet.
- Tagore's plaintive and sadly moving description of the heroines'death has a close relation with his life experience of losing many family members.
- On the threshold she paused---turned partly round---for perchance the idea of entering alone and all so changed the home of so intense a former life was more dreary and desolate than even she could bear.
- Just then whistles began to shrill from every direction as more policemen arrived on the scene from the various police stations in the neighbourhood and began to round up the women.
- My purpose in going to walden pond was not to live cheaply nor to live dearly there but to transact some private business with the fewest obstacles; to be hindered from accomplishing which for want of a little common sense a little enterprise and business talent appeared not so sad as foolish.
- Consequently the sum of the parts is witty spry and poignant.
- Women more especially--in the continually recurring trials of wounded wasted wronged misplaced or erring and sinful passion--or with the dreary burden of a heart unyielded because unvalued and unsought came to hester's cottage demanding why they were so wretched and what the remedy!
- They swayed and sang faintly to the plangent music turc and slav together in a tableau of fairytale unity.
- In the view of a certain stratum of society carrie was comfortably established--in the eyes of the starveling beaten by every wind and gusty sheet of rain she was safe in a halcyon harbour.
- This mournful appeal pierced the darkness.
- The spur of that pitiful sight set her gliding swiftly.